If you’ve been online in recent month’s it’s possible you’ve seen the hashtag #BoycottCalmWear floating around Twitter, Facebook, and TikTok.
For those of you who may have missed it, this hashtag was started out of desperation, when one member of this organization was doing horrible things to Autistic adults and Teens online, and leading people to believe their employer was aware of and endorsed their atrocious, bullying behaviors.
So as not to give the person who would love some attention air, we won’t mention any names here. If you know who we’re talking about please treat them like BeetleJuice or some other dark monster, and don’t say or even type their name below. Doing so gives power that is undeserved.
Today’s blog post is not focused on the past, it is focused on the future.
This morning the following announcement appeared on the CalmWear Facebook page:
We are excited to announce that we have partnered up with Autistic adults to pave the way forward towards a new beginning.
As CalmWear was not moving in the direction we initially intended, we will be dissolving this brand. Our products will still be available through CalmCare.
CalmCare has partnered up with several Autistic bloggers who we are thrilled to announce will be providing us with their blogs centred upon autism acceptance and education.
Additionally, we are pleased to announce our sponsorship of AIM (Autistic Inclusive Meets).
CalmCare is an Autistic owned organisation.
Furthermore 60% of CalmCare’s employees have Autistic family members.
Our team at CalmCare are delighted to be partnering up with the Autistic Community and we look forward to building that rapport with you all.
There is an image of a rainbow with a circular stamp that reads “Important Message” below the text.
Because of employment law it’s very likely they cannot say more about specific people that they were employing.
However, looking this over I’m excited by a few thins in note sent out earlier this morning:
- Partnering with Autistic Adults to help pave the way forward towards a NEW beginning.
- They acknowledge what they can, without mentioning names, that the previous direction was wrong.
- They will be partnering with Autistic bloggers now, centering upon Autism Acceptance and Education.
- They will be sponsoring AIM (Autistic Inclusive Meets) – a FANTASTIC Organization
- This is an Autistic Owned Organization – I didn’t know this before and it’s worth mentioning
- They are rebranding, and will now be CalmCare, a much needed and anticipated fresh start.
Thank you CalmCare, I’m excited to see what happens next for your organization moving forward.
In my mind there is no longer a need to #BoycottCalmWear. Our voices have been heard. This one is a win.